Thursday 18 February 2010

Bitching is fun

The Oscars. Recognising the best in film over the past 12 months. I’m actually a fan of this award ceremony, I’m not sure why because I think awards ceremonies are generally a joke but I have an interest in this. As I’m a bit negative, I will be looking at the catastrophes of people being overlooked over the years. I will try to show as little bias as possible. I will be ignoring some omissions, such as Scorcese, Pacino and Winslet having only one Oscar because they got one eventually. Here it goes:

Best Actor –Tom Cruise (Jerry Maguire)
Not everybody is a fan of the guy and a lot of people don’t know how he became one of the biggest actors on the planet. I think the guy is brilliant and I love most of his work. In Jerry Maguire though, he was at the top of his game. His performance had every emotion possible and you wanted him to succeed the whole time. The Oscar should have been his, instead it went to an over the top performance from Geoffrey Rush. He might get a sympathy Oscar (like Pacino) one day, but he was robbed when he was at his peak.

Best Actor – Jeff Bridges (The Big Lebowski)
The Oscar committee hate comedies. The Dude was not just comic genius, he was a fantastic character wonderfully played. I think roles like this, where somebody plays a role just completely out there and they deliver. They will never be rewarded. The Dude deserved this award (also Brad Pitt deserved a nomination for Snatch)

Best Actor – Johnny Depp (The Libertine)
I love Depp, I’ll admit I am biased, but he’s been nominated three times and it wasn’t for his portrayal of the Earl of Rochester. Now the Libertine isn’t an Oscar worthy film, however Depp is rarely off screen (I’d say 5 minutes max) and yet the whole time he keeps you interested. You hate him, you love him, you want him to suffer, and then you feel sympathy. Not many actors could carry this film, but he did and did it to the highest standard.

Best Film – Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
I can almost guarantee that anybody making a top ten list of the best films of the last decade, this film will appear more times than Million Dollar Baby, Ray, Sideways, Finding Neverland and Aviator. The film about trying to forget the greatest heartbreak turned into a film about remembering the things about love and that maybe if it’s meant to be then you’ll always find the one for you. The film was original and funny and has heart. I understand how it didn’t win but to not be nominated a fucking robbery!

Best Song – Bruce Springsteen (The Wrestler)
The Golden Globes gave the Boss the award, yet the Oscars tell him he isn’t good enough to on the shortlist. Springsteen writes songs that have a story and he’s the best at it, that’s why he can still sell out any venue in the world with ease. He wrote a song about being told told that your life is over and it’s time to accept it, but knowing you can’t give up and want to offer something. The man wrote one of the best songs of 2008, yet he loses to some rubbish dance/hip hop tune? It’s disrespectful.

Best Director – Tim Burton (Big Fish)
It’s not my favourite Burton film but it’s his best looking. It’s a beautiful looking film, I’m not sure there is much more to add really. He deserved a nomination at the least.

Best Actress – Uma Thurman (Kill Bill)
The woman who most the time plays the generic love interest in mediocre chick flicks turns her self into a fighting machine looking for vengeance over the people who betrayed her and she’s ignored for a massive transformation. Her performance wasn’t just about fantastic fight scenes, Thurman brings heart to it, and unfortunately most women have to make themselves look ugly/plain to get the statue.

Best Film – Wall-e
Fuck it, I think if you are giving the Oscar to a nice love story then why not give it to a great one (oh yeah it’s animate) Pixar don’t make kids films, they make stories for all and this it their finest hour. I know I’ve written about a cute little robot more than any normal 25 year old ever should but the film is breathtaking and people are insane if they think Slumdog deserved the award more than a film that keeps people interested even though there is hardly any words spoken in the first hour. I’ll never let it go.

I know there are many more I could add (Ron Perlman for Hellboy, Adam Sandler for Funny People, Dogma for best screenplay) but you need to know to stop and I think this is the point.

No comments: