Sunday 21 February 2010

guilty pleasures

When i was younger (say 14-15) i'd only really admit to liking songs with either a guitar or drum solo. since i hit my twenties though, i've had no problem with admitting everything i like. Why does it matter what i like. Recently i have been mocked by people i work with, friends, my girlfriend and my folk-loving mother. I don't feel ashamed by these so i'm listing my guilty pleasures in this blog.

Taylor Swift
I'm putting her first and proud of it. She might be 17 years old and very much aimed at the teen audience but when i heard Love Story, that was just a great tune. The bridge at the end of the song is fucking epic epic and her album Fearless is just great pop song after great pop song. I'm glad she won the grammy over that phoney Lady Gaga. Swift can actually sing.

Lady Gaga
I stick with my last sentence, but this woman can pen a fucking chorus. Poker Face, Love Game and Just Dance are dreadful songs but you'll be humming the chorus all day. She's not a great singer, but she doesn't have to be for what she does and she has some great tunes (Speechless. Alejandro, Bad Romance and Paparazzi.

Cheryl Cole (soon to be Tweedy again)
Ok, this is a bit of a stretch. Weren't a big fan of Fight For This Love, it's just a girls aloud song really, but 3 words is a great song. It's reminiscent of 80's electro pop but it sounds fresh and you got a give her credit for that. It doesn't get much more pop than her.

Rihanna
I hated Umbrella in 2007. It did nothing for me. I heard it in 2009 and it's actually pretty good and Ms Fenty has one hell of a voice on her. Her album Rated R is fantastic, not as poppy as her older stuff but i think she has one of the best voices around.

Michael Buble
The Buble. I don't think there is much more to say. He's a legend and i shouldn't even mention him as a guilty pleasure but my moo-ma mocks me for liking him. Listen to his version of Feeling Good and be won over. It's fantastic.


I also think i shouldn't be embarrassed of the above when people in the world listen to Pink (she can't fucking sing, she is tone deaf yet one of the biggest artists), Beyonce (I very mediocre voice, she had the worse out of Destiny Child but somehow made it...oh yeah it was her looks) Nickelback (enough said) Coldplay (boring all the way, i love lost though, that's a real guilty pleasure) and Phil Collins!

My next blog will be more positive

No comments: