Tuesday 16 February 2010

Jumping on the teeny bopper bandwagon

In July of last year, somebody at work recommended I should read Twilight. I was hesitant but then she (of course it’s a she, what sort of self-respecting- guy would read twilight? … oh wait) said she would lend me the book and I agreed to read it. I thought she would never bring the book in to lend me, but she did and I felt like I had to read it. So I took it with me on a week holiday to Ilfracombe and I actually enjoyed it. Then I read the bought the next three books, then I bought the film, then I watched New Moon at the cinema and now I’m looking forward to the summer so I can see the third instalment, Eclipse. Admittedly there are some stereotypes to the normal twilight fan and a 25 year old male is not in that list. However I think people are wrong to dismiss it straight away. Yes it can be cringey, some of the dialogue is awful and there is nothing groundbreaking about it, but it can still be entertaining.

If you complain about the cringey love story moments, then you are saying that you have never enjoyed any book, film or television show aimed at women. When a love story is being portrayed it has to have a sickly feeling, because that’s a part of love, deal with it. If it is the bad dialogue then don’t forget Lord of the Rings and Star Wars has worse dialogue than Twilight, but people can get past that. If you think the story is unoriginal then it’s a bit much because Stephanie Meyer was clearly not trying to write Sense and Sensibility. The book is a teenage love story written by a religious lady (I’ll admit, halfway through Eclipse the sexual hints get annoying and you just want Edward and Bella to just fuck, but they have to wait until marriage). Twilight is good, Half Moon is ok, Eclipse is the money shot and Breaking Dawn is great, just a little long but a brilliant, happy ending (if you hate a happy ending then you have issues).

The films are popcorn and they will never set the world alight with cinematic achievements, but they have a very strong cast (Dakota Fanning, Michael Sheen) and I think New Moon is better than Twilight. Eclipse is next and has a fantastic director and is my favourite of the four books. In fact I think it’s one of my most anticipated films of 2010 (that might be a blog)
To summarise, I like the love story of a moody teenager and the sparkly vampire adonis. It might be aimed at 13 year old girls but I still enjoy it. I also like Taylor Swift too and I’m ok with that too!

No comments: